May 5, 2014

BEYOND FASHION






Charles James Gowns by Cecil Beaton  Vogue, 1948


The annual Met Gala is tonight (love watching the live coverage) which means a new exhibit will be unveiled on May 8th, and I cannot wait to see this one.  Charles James: Beyond Fashion explores the life and work of the British designer/
couturier Charles James in the largest retrospective of his work to date.  Known for his lavish and sculptural designs, James is considered one of the greatest haute couture designers of the 20th century.  Many of his early design elements (figure-eight skirts, wrap-over trousers, ribbon capes) are still used today, and will be on display in the 75-piece exhibit.

In a rare 1972 interview with Interview magazine, James opened up about his life, work and how the scope of fashion had changed over the past 40 years.  Although he passed away just six years after it was printed, the interview gives a really insightful look into the life of such an amazingly talented man.  

"I only wish I had 20 more years ahead of active work during which I could continue the fight to train young people having the desire to become top artisans... Through my clients I may be said to have lived vicariously it is true; but I would wish others who one day can influence fashion -- having the guts and capacity to do so, to live through me when I am gone.  This will not be precisely tomorrow."






No comments:

Post a Comment